Skip to main content

It's Free...Until You Have to Pay

I resisted buying a new cell phone for a very long time. However I started to notice that other people were taking great pictures, surfing the net and sending emails with their new and improved phones. After six years with my tried and true friend I decided enough was enough. I bought a new phone. The pictures were incredible. I didn't want to pay the extra $35.00 for Internet service. My reasoning was I can do my email at work and at home. I resisted that part of the sales pitch.

One night while exploring my new cell. Right there, I saw it, "Free Site, CNN." Well that sure is nice I thought. Night after night I read the latest headlines and saw great pictures on this website. This went on for weeks. I was hooked. On a Friday night I went on the website like I always did and enjoyed the stories. The next morning I woke up and went to the website. However this time I read that I did not have access because web service was not in my plan. I was startled. I'd been reading this site for weeks. Then it dawned on me. I had bought into the company's marketing plan. I was shut out. I was directed to a site where I could subscribe to the site.

Free was the succulent bait. I'd been being enticed all along. Free was a relative term. All at once I understood temptation. It usually doesn't introduce itself as a trap. It makes one feel comfortable with no consequences. It appeals to what one likes anyway. For me, I like news. It got me comfortable. It was always there and very interesting. Then one day when it had become a habit it was time to pay.

I'm going to pay better attention to my spiritual life too. I'll be more aware of those little enticements that seem harmless and free. It's all free until it's time to pay.

Comments

  1. That's good. I, like you, have had my cell phone several years. And I'm looking at all these smart phones that do everything. But I just don't want to pay that extra money for internet access to email. I figure I can check that at home and work. I really would like the iPhone. I think if I wait just a bit I may get it with a different carrier other than AT&T.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Elisha, a Lesson in Humility

One day I attended a meeting of believers. The facilitator of the meeting made several introductions being careful to give each person's title and a brief remark about how she knew the person. When she came to this one particular person she inadvertently did not mention the woman's title. Upon hearing the introduction this person's friend was offended. This person is a reverend she said loudly. I've also been present when a pompous person has declared their own title to make sure that he received special recognition. In this day of superstar preachers, evangelists, apostles, and song leaders, Elisha deserves to be studied. We can contrast this asking and thinking one deserves special privileges with Elisha. The custom of Elisha's day was for travelers to stay in private homes. The hotel industry had not started. Therefore when strangers came into town and needed to have a place to sleep the townspeople would invite them into their homes. They would let them bunk on

Domestic Violence - A Present and Ancient Problem

The Bible records the first horrific act of family violence in the story of Cain killing his brother Abel. God saw the anger that Cain was mistakenly harboring towards Abel.  God talked with Cain. God told Cain that he had an opportunity to correct his mistake. Consumed by jealousy Cain refused to change his attitude. . Cain continued to make Abel the target of his wrath. Cain chose rage over reason. He overpowered and killed his unsuspecting and innocent brother. Everything in creation was affected by Cain’s solitary action. Cain’s violence brought death to Abel, the disapproval of God, grief to the parents and a disillusioned life of hardship to himself. Even the earth found itself an unwilling participant as it was forced to receive Abel’s blood. Family violence has never been a confidential matter between the abuser and the abused. It disrupts life on so many levels and causes physical, mental, emotional and social pain to everyone. The injured party is no longer able to contrib

Dormant Does Not Mean Dead!

Last fall I could feel the chill of winter creeping into the atmosphere. What would happen to my beautiful red velvety  geraniums that brought me so much pleasure during the summer? I hated to say good by to them.  I wondered could they possibly live through the winter and bloom again  if  I brought  them in from the approaching  frost,  I was willing to see if they could. The wooden pot was very heavy so I enlisted some help to bring it into the unheated pool room. All winter long I watched indifferently as they began to shed leaves.  For months they lived without one drink of water from me, their neglectful owner. I began to ask myself why did I  even bother bringing them in if I wasn't going to care for them?  The dying brown leaves still did not move me to water the plant. One tenacious geranium kept  hanging on for dear life. Five months later spring arrived.  That one stubborn red geranium proved to be a survivor. I thought I might need help to move the pot outside to le