Skip to main content

Go Backs

In the grocery stores some time you see carts that are filled with merchandise near the check out stands. Or sometimes you see clerks pushing these carts up and down the aisle. They look like reverse shoppers- putting things back not picking them up.

These things are called go backs. People got to the check-out stand and for whatever reason they did not want the item. They either plainly changed their mind, the cost was too great, the item wasn't needed, it was a spur of the moment decision or some other reason. Nevertheless they don't purchase the product. That's fair. If you don't want to pay for it you can't have it. However the store owners want to have some profit. The owners have their employees put the items back on the shelf.

How like the Christian life, some see it and want it. They are Oprhahs as in the book of Ruth. She went with Naomi and Ruth for a while. However when Naomi started the questioning process of real commitment Oprhah counts the cost. Naomi told her she had a better chance of remarriage in her familiar surroundings. She told her daughters-in-law that they may have peace with their old friends and family and a husband. Naomi told them that she was grieved at her circumstances and she had no hope of providing anything for them. Oprhah decided the price was too great. So she went back. She left with a parting kiss. No animosity she decided to forsake the fellowship and future of the unknown for the more familiar.

Where are you on the journey? Have you started? Is God questioning you. Is He asking do you really want to go? Is the Holy Spirit showing you the stripped down version of life? Are you at the stage where you say, Lord I don't care where you take me. I don't care what the circumstances of life you bring to me. I don't care if I never find a husband. I don't care if being with you requires a long difficult journey without a horse or a donkey. I don't care if I don't know the people where I am going. I don't care if its a tent, or a cottage or a palace. I'm willing to be with you. Wherever you go. I just want to be with you. Whoever you live with, I just want to be with you. Whatever way you say to worship, I just want to be with you. Are you saying yes? I may face death where I'm going. If worse comes to worse I'll be buried where ever you are buried. Nothing is going to stop me from going with you so please don't ask me anymore.

Ruth became like a terrorist. When one becomes like a terrorist at heart, truly committed to the cause it's dangerous. They act, and believe that they have absolutely nothing to lose. They've sacrificed the rational and natural to fight governments that are millions of times more powerful than they are. However they don't care. Ruth had that kind of faith. I'm going. Don't try and talk me out of it. I'm going.

Why? With you I have fellowship. I'm not going with you for what you can give me. I don't know if you will give me anything. As far as I know there is no gold at the end of this rainbow. In fact I don't see a rainbow. There will be a grave at some point. It really does not matter. Where I am there will be a grave too. As far as I know there may be a drudge job waiting for me. As far as I know I have to work from sun up to sun down. As far as I know I may be disrespected. As far as I know the people may not accept me. As far as I know I may face physical hardship. I don't care. I want to be with you. That's all I know, that's all I need to know is that we will live in fellowship. Ruth desire was fellowship with Naomi and her God. It did not matter about the cost. She found the pearl of great price.

I think God tries us and ask us if we want to go back. I think at some point our commitment is tested. Maybe it's the refining process. I don't know. Whatever it is I don't want to be in that cart of go backs. I don't want to be placed on the shelf again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Domestic Violence - A Present and Ancient Problem

The Bible records the first horrific act of family violence in the story of Cain killing his brother Abel. God saw the anger that Cain was mistakenly harboring towards Abel.  God talked with Cain. God told Cain that he had an opportunity to correct his mistake. Consumed by jealousy Cain refused to change his attitude. . Cain continued to make Abel the target of his wrath. Cain chose rage over reason. He overpowered and killed his unsuspecting and innocent brother. Everything in creation was affected by Cain’s solitary action. Cain’s violence brought death to Abel, the disapproval of God, grief to the parents and a disillusioned life of hardship to himself. Even the earth found itself an unwilling participant as it was forced to receive Abel’s blood. Family violence has never been a confidential matter between the abuser and the abused. It disrupts life on so many levels and causes physical, mental, emotional and social pain to everyone. The injured party is no longer able to contrib

Songs in the Night

This week marks eight years since the sudden and unexpected passing of my late husband Winston. That was a strange land for me. The land of loss and death. At first I needed to hear others sing because the song in my heart was frozen with grief and I was traumatized. I’d sing God’s song later with help from others. There were tapes I listened to that reminded me of the Lord’s song. It was the voice on the radio or the television that told me God would bring me out of these trials. It was the voice of my mother telling me and reminding me of God’s faithfulness to me in the past. How could I sing the Lord’s song in a strange land? In the next phase on my journey through grief after the sudden death of my husband I tried to sing along with those who were on the journey with me At first I’d only get a few words out before the tears started to flow. I kept trying day after day to sing along. I was reminded of God’s word. I was strengthened by constantly hearing the words of faith and

Elisha, a Lesson in Humility

One day I attended a meeting of believers. The facilitator of the meeting made several introductions being careful to give each person's title and a brief remark about how she knew the person. When she came to this one particular person she inadvertently did not mention the woman's title. Upon hearing the introduction this person's friend was offended. This person is a reverend she said loudly. I've also been present when a pompous person has declared their own title to make sure that he received special recognition. In this day of superstar preachers, evangelists, apostles, and song leaders, Elisha deserves to be studied. We can contrast this asking and thinking one deserves special privileges with Elisha. The custom of Elisha's day was for travelers to stay in private homes. The hotel industry had not started. Therefore when strangers came into town and needed to have a place to sleep the townspeople would invite them into their homes. They would let them bunk on