Skip to main content

What's Going On?

One of Marvin Gaye's songs asked, What's going on?" Part of the lyrics state that ,"They'are too many people dying." The news from this week is causing me to ask what's going on in our country? Seattle Washington:Last Saturday night a police was murdered in cold blood sitting in his car debriefing a traffic stop with a trainee. Fort Hood, Texas:Thursday an army psychiatrist turned the gun on fellow soldiers killing thirteen. Orlando, Florida:Fri day a person opened fire in a high rise building shooting eight and killing one person. I'm reaching sensory overload. I can hardly process one tragedy when the next one pops up in the news. What's going on?



We are living in an age of unparalleled violence in this country. I'm convinced the farther we moved from God the closer we've come to unraveling our republic. Did we ask for this when the courts ruled that we could not even post "You should not kill" in schools and governmental buildings? Remember the Supreme Court said that someone might look at the words and be influenced by them. Well is anyone else wanting something to influence and remind everybody that killing people is well, wrong? Oops! I forgot there is no basis for right or wrong anymore. If you feel like doing something just do it. After all if we vote that something is right that should make it right. Right?



From the Supreme Court Ruling:

If the posted copies of the Ten Commandments are to have any effect at all, it will be to induce the schoolchildren to read, meditate upon, perhaps to venerate and obey, the Commandments. However desirable this might be as a matter of private devotion, it is not a permissible state objective under the Establishment Clause."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Songs in the Night

This week marks eight years since the sudden and unexpected passing of my late husband Winston. That was a strange land for me. The land of loss and death. At first I needed to hear others sing because the song in my heart was frozen with grief and I was traumatized. I’d sing God’s song later with help from others. There were tapes I listened to that reminded me of the Lord’s song. It was the voice on the radio or the television that told me God would bring me out of these trials. It was the voice of my mother telling me and reminding me of God’s faithfulness to me in the past. How could I sing the Lord’s song in a strange land? In the next phase on my journey through grief after the sudden death of my husband I tried to sing along with those who were on the journey with me At first I’d only get a few words out before the tears started to flow. I kept trying day after day to sing along. I was reminded of God’s word. I was strengthened by constantly hearing the words of faith and

Keeping Short Accounts

Junk Drawer Opening the bread bag I simultaneously pulled opened the junk drawer. Unthinkingly I tossed the bag twist in it. One of these days I’m going to clean out that drawer. That drawer the home of things I can’t categorize, but when I need odds and ends I go to it. It’s filled with items of dubious worth. As I worked I started to wonder. Does my heart have a junk drawer or maybe even a junk room? Have I put miscellaneous hurts and grievances in it? I keep it closed around friends and family. However, privately, I rummage through it from time to time. Am I keeping scraps of resentments, jealousies, roots of bitterness or little insults I received in it? I’m careful to not let it be on show, nevertheless the “stuff’ is in there. Right then and there I gave up the right to keep my junk drawer. Dear God, please clean out this area of my life. Let me instantly forgive and keep my heart clean from secret sins and grievances.

Domestic Violence - A Present and Ancient Problem

The Bible records the first horrific act of family violence in the story of Cain killing his brother Abel. God saw the anger that Cain was mistakenly harboring towards Abel.  God talked with Cain. God told Cain that he had an opportunity to correct his mistake. Consumed by jealousy Cain refused to change his attitude. . Cain continued to make Abel the target of his wrath. Cain chose rage over reason. He overpowered and killed his unsuspecting and innocent brother. Everything in creation was affected by Cain’s solitary action. Cain’s violence brought death to Abel, the disapproval of God, grief to the parents and a disillusioned life of hardship to himself. Even the earth found itself an unwilling participant as it was forced to receive Abel’s blood. Family violence has never been a confidential matter between the abuser and the abused. It disrupts life on so many levels and causes physical, mental, emotional and social pain to everyone. The injured party is no longer able to contrib