Skip to main content

Come Out of Hiding!

9 There he went into a cave and spent the night.And the word of the LORD came to him:
"What are you doing here, Elijah?"
I Kings 17:9

Well look, the "Great" Elijah in the cave. A prophet of God is hiding from Jezebel. Elijah wanted to die. Doesn't the New Testament tell us that Elijah was like the rest of us? Sometimes when people have done great things or have been used greatly by God I tend to think of them as superhuman. But, here's the proof that Elijah was like me. There have been times when I've wanted to be in cave or craved a quick end to my existence because the future just looked so bleak. I prayed to God just take me, and end this for me because no matter how hard I pray nothing seems to be going right. Two times in this passage God asked Elijah what he was doing in that cave.

When God has a job for us to do God doesnt expect us to go hide out in a cave. However God was and is merciful. God told Elijah to go back the way that he came. Go back to the desert. God then gave him three tasks to complete. Elijah had three anointings to do. Elijah was to anoint two kings and one prophet. God also heard Elijah's distress and loneliness in thinking he was the only faithful prophet left in Israel. Therefore God sent Elijah a new companion, Elisha and let Elijah know 7,000 others had not bowed to Baal either. Instead of answering Elijah's exit prayer God sent His word to remind Elijah that God was in charge and to keep going. This was not the time for Elijah to live in a cave. In our day it's not time for us to withdraw either. We need to take the message out and keep going and doing God's work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elisha, a Lesson in Humility

One day I attended a meeting of believers. The facilitator of the meeting made several introductions being careful to give each person's title and a brief remark about how she knew the person. When she came to this one particular person she inadvertently did not mention the woman's title. Upon hearing the introduction this person's friend was offended. This person is a reverend she said loudly. I've also been present when a pompous person has declared their own title to make sure that he received special recognition. In this day of superstar preachers, evangelists, apostles, and song leaders, Elisha deserves to be studied. We can contrast this asking and thinking one deserves special privileges with Elisha. The custom of Elisha's day was for travelers to stay in private homes. The hotel industry had not started. Therefore when strangers came into town and needed to have a place to sleep the townspeople would invite them into their homes. They would let them bunk on

Domestic Violence - A Present and Ancient Problem

The Bible records the first horrific act of family violence in the story of Cain killing his brother Abel. God saw the anger that Cain was mistakenly harboring towards Abel.  God talked with Cain. God told Cain that he had an opportunity to correct his mistake. Consumed by jealousy Cain refused to change his attitude. . Cain continued to make Abel the target of his wrath. Cain chose rage over reason. He overpowered and killed his unsuspecting and innocent brother. Everything in creation was affected by Cain’s solitary action. Cain’s violence brought death to Abel, the disapproval of God, grief to the parents and a disillusioned life of hardship to himself. Even the earth found itself an unwilling participant as it was forced to receive Abel’s blood. Family violence has never been a confidential matter between the abuser and the abused. It disrupts life on so many levels and causes physical, mental, emotional and social pain to everyone. The injured party is no longer able to contrib

Dormant Does Not Mean Dead!

Last fall I could feel the chill of winter creeping into the atmosphere. What would happen to my beautiful red velvety  geraniums that brought me so much pleasure during the summer? I hated to say good by to them.  I wondered could they possibly live through the winter and bloom again  if  I brought  them in from the approaching  frost,  I was willing to see if they could. The wooden pot was very heavy so I enlisted some help to bring it into the unheated pool room. All winter long I watched indifferently as they began to shed leaves.  For months they lived without one drink of water from me, their neglectful owner. I began to ask myself why did I  even bother bringing them in if I wasn't going to care for them?  The dying brown leaves still did not move me to water the plant. One tenacious geranium kept  hanging on for dear life. Five months later spring arrived.  That one stubborn red geranium proved to be a survivor. I thought I might need help to move the pot outside to le